Wednesday 13 February 2008

wat no dredd?



Watch the birth of the comic that made it possible for british graphic novel artists to develop and thrive.

2000AD

The UK is home to many of the worlds most inventive and outstanding graphic novel artists ... and it is all thanks to this crappy advert .. who needs marketing when u got talent eh?

However, the story that made all this possible .. Judge Dredd .. was so close to being dropped he didnt make it into the first issue, while a less violent and more acceptable story line was written.

Drawn by a 'newbie' Mike McMahon, after the developer of the Dredd character, Carlos Ezquerra walked out. Mc Mahons loose and vivid style became the trade mark style that others would have to follow when guest artists where invited to contribute.

For me, McMahon sums up the rebirth of an art form that had become stale, conservative and overlooked .. shame he didnt have anything to do with the frekkin advert eh????

see you in the next life

3 comments:

Mondo said...

Great ad' I used have Prog 1 with the space skimmer sold it for £60 about 15 years ago.

Good timing too as I'm on a right ol' comics buzz. I read a great Dredd story recently 'Origins'

Details are here and you can buy it here
here - highly recommended

A tip top comics and music blog is
http://armagideontime.blogspot.com/

And it's always worth checking in on the bat blog
http://www.tomztoyz.blogspot.com/

Piley said...

Good to see you up n bloggin again fella!

I still have Prog 1 WITH skimmer!! (it's yours mondo for £150!!). 2000AD was the turning point for me, where I went from kiddi comics (whoopee, buster, krazy etc) to a more adult syle - 30 years on i'm still there!

Unknown said...

I see you've added my blog to you sidebar - thanks a lot for that!

Has it been there long? Cause I no idea.

///Monkey Bastard